9/20/09

Week of 9/21-9/25

First of all, I want to apologize that last week I could not post anything! It was a very busy week and then I got sick Thursday, so things were a little crazy and I could not get online. However, I have some very important things for you to remember for this week!

I know last week, our class had several tests, and there was a lot of studying going on. We have been talking about different strategies for taking tests and how to prepare for them and I can tell that for the majority it is paying off! I have been very encouraged by the grades of our class and can tell who has been spending time preparing!

Our only tests this week are for Science, Geography, and of course, Spelling! I realized that originally the online calendar said we would have a Science Test next Tuesday, but that is incorrect, it was going to be this Tuesday (9/22). However, due to the fact that I got sick and I was not able to review with them this past Thursday afternoon, I am moving their Science Test to this Thursday (9/24). Please check the calendar in their binders or online. (Dates have been changed.)

Geography Test: We will have or 1st test on States & Capitals for the Northeast Region on Friday. On Parent Orientation Night, I gave you a copy of a blank map of the U.S. (inside the folder) that I told you to make copies for them and let them practice filling in several times where the State was located on the map. This is the best strategy that I have for them to get to know the States. They DO NOT have to know the exact location of the CAPITAL, but they do need to know the capital and state and their spellings (Some have been a part of our weekly Spelling Lists). In addition to this, we have been singing several songs that help them memorize the States/Capitals. *Ideas to help them study for this test: 1)Copy U.S. Map and have them fill in NE region states 2)Call out the capital/state and have them write down the corresponding capital/state 3)Write each state/capital several times each (maybe 3) PLEASE be working on these at home, we only have a small amount of time each week dedicated to Geography!

Spelling Tests: This past week, almost every student made an A on their Spelling Test. I was so pleased. Whatever you are doing to help them study is working, so keep up the good work!

Math Tiles: We have Math Tiles this coming Friday. My class moms are working on getting a schedule ready for our volunteers. Hopefully we can get those sent home to you by Wednesday this week, so you know when you are coming to help us out! Thank you so much!

Binders: I want to encourage you to check your child's binder nightly as they do homework. The fact that they are trying to be more independent does not mean that you are hands-off with them. They need you! This is entirely new. Help them if sections seem to be out of order. A few want me to help them and I was going to Thursday, but could not, so we will get to it this week. Show them how to keep things together if this does not come naturally!

Homework Folders: Please make sure that your child, puts his homework in his blue/purple HW folder upon completion. They walk in the door and put it in my tray first thing. If it is not there, then they have to search and they are not being productive with their morning work!

Class Prayers: Thank you so much for your support and prayers! Please pray that God would protect us from injury, illness, and that we would all be healthy to learn. This past week we had teeth coming out, nose bleeds, scrapes, belly aches, sore throats, ear infections, head aches, and well, their teacher getting sick! With all this going on, in addition to everything else, it is hard for me to focus my attention on teaching when everyone is SICK! We need prayers for protection! I also encourage you to get your child a flu shot (if possible) so that we can stay healthier, too! Thank you so much!

Mrs. Traylor